The Agricultural History Project (AHP) has been given the opportunity to substantially expand the size of our site located at the Santa Cruz County Fairgrounds. This takes us to the next phase of planning for the development of a Living History Farm, which kicks off our “Sowing Seeds for History” Fundraiser.
Raffle tickets go on sale in May for the chance to winning one for four donated exciting prizes which include:
- 4 one-day park hopper tickets to Disneyland
- Stihl Chainsaw
- One-night stay at the Portola Hotel & Spa with Monterey Bay Aquarium tickets
- $50 Gift Certificate to Sierra Azul Nursery
If you’re interested in being on the Living History Farm committee or to purchase raffle tickets, contact our office at
(831) 724-5898 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In 2015 AHP received a grant from the Community Foundation Santa Cruz County to conduct a feasibility study to gauge the level of community support for a Living History Farm and for perspective on the choice of options to best serve our wide audience. The community indicated a strong desire for a Living History Farm and ranked their preference for activities in the following order:
1. Educational programs for children and youth
2. Demonstrations of historical farming and ranching activities
3. Hands on interactive experiences
4. Farm animal exhibits
See the full feasibility report here: Final Report
What is a Living History Farm?
A living history farm is an interactive outdoor museum which educates, entertains and connects people to real life experiences on a farm or ranch during a particular time in history. Docents demonstrate everyday chores, household tasks, and how a family was fed without a grocery store around the corner. Docents also assist visitors with “hands-on” activities.